BUILDING INFORMATION MODELLING
BIM is an intelligent 3D model-based process that gives architecture, engineering, and construction (AEC) professionals the insight and tools to more efficiently plan, design, construct, and manage buildings and infrastructure.
The output of the process are what we refer to as BIMs or building information models which are ultimately digital files that describe every aspect of the project and support decision-making throughout a project cycle. It has been thought that BIM is nothing more than 3D modelling but it actually involves more than that. BIM and the subsets of BIM systems and similar technologies feature more than just 3D (width, height, and depth) but may include further dimensions such as 4D (time), 5D (cost), and even 6D (as-built operation).
- Architecture and building design
- Civil and structural engineering
- Energy and utilities
- Highway and road engineering
- Landscape and land surveying
- Offshore and marine architecture
- Rail and metro transportation engineering
- Tunneling and subway architecture